Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I've Been Framed!


As part of my shipping rotation in early 2007, I was asked to handle the packing and shipping of a new project we started in that February. The project was unique because they were variable photographs that were printed digitallyand framed, and then each picture was sent out to real estate investors depending on the property they invested in. Since each picture had to match the appropriate person and property, the most important aspect of the project was to ensure that each investor received the correct photograph, and that the photo matched the pre-printed shipping label. I handled a project very similar to this when we printed custom-made calendars for a computer company, so I was planning on using very similar methods, such as pairing up the shipping labels with the framed photo beforehand.
To accomplish this task, I was given a crew of three people, two of which speak only Spanish and one who cannot speak at all, so needless to say the way I communicated to them had to be effective! Much of my communication was shown through example, such as going through the process myself while they watched, and then watching them while they tried it once. Throughout the two days that we worked on this, we packaged nearly 400 frames and shipped them to about 300 individuals.
Looking back on how things ran, I would say that the project was very successful. The only difficulty we encountered was that about five packages were sent out that had a P.O. box address, and FedEx does not deliver to P.O. boxes.
One of our most commonly used supplies for the project was the bubble wrap that secures the frames in each box, so one way that I made this more cost effective and efficient for Orange County Printing was to research various suppliers and see who has the least expensive product.
The reaction I received from both Tarek (President) and Miguel (CEO), as well as the Account Manager, was of gratitude because I was able to handle the project with such efficiency. The main reason for this is because the estimators quoted the labor portion of the job at four frames packaged per hour per person, when we were actually able to average about ten an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment