Thursday, February 12, 2009

Just Stop Talking!


This picture is the result of a recent excavation; archaeologists were astounded when they unearthed the planet's first salesman! This picture cracks me up. I'm sure you can figure out what's going on here. I think all too often as salespeople, we live under this false pretense that we always have to find an answer. Someone asks a tough question, we don't want to look like a fool, so we make something up...usually it comes to stab us in the back later on! I've been in several situations, usually while cold calling, where I feel this intense need to fill the silence, so I just talk. Why do I do that?! Am I afraid of silence? Do I think the other person is expecting something of me? The bottom line is that silence can often be a good thing. I've often been told that while on a cold call, after making a statement simply be quiet. Check this out. Let the other person simmer on the words you just uttered. Often you will find that they will provide more information that way, when they actually have a chance to speak.
Now on to the subject of talking out of your...you-know-what. One of the worst things you can do as a salesperson is lose your authenticity. These days, consumers are smarter, pickier, and more demanding. They don't fall for those quick, cheesy gimmicks anymore. And it's for this reason that they have their eyes out for the truth. What will really save me the most money? Who is going to give it to me straight? How will I know that my investment in marketing will pay off? The best thing you can do is be the one voice of truth that is honestly looking out for their best interest.
Tip of the day: Don't make it up! If you don't know, tell them that and then go find out the answer!

1 comment:

  1. Kyle:

    As a recovering talkaholic, I can honestly say that there is a lesson to be learned here. Let's not forget that silence can also demonstrate confidence.

    This is great food for thought for us and much appreciated.

    Also, you need to know that I am swiping your visual because its classic.

    Keep up the great work on this blog!

    Respectfully,
    Paul Castain

    ReplyDelete